Friday, May 29, 2009

Why Do You Quilt?

Whenever I read quilter's blogs the first question I ask myself is, "Why do they do it?" What is it about quilting that makes people stick with it, unlike other crafts or hobbies that come and go with a whim? Anyone still make baskets out of grocery sacks and paper ribbon? I didn't think so.
After getting over my fear of quilting (about 6 months ago!) I have found that I really, really love it. It fills all of the right places in me, challenges my abilities and leaves me with something beautiful and, more importantly, lasting. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to take small pieces of fabric and assemble them together into something pretty and useful. The quilts I make today will still keep my family warm and dress their rooms years from now. Many years from now.
I tease my children with these words, "Guess what you're getting for Christmas from now on, and I mean forever- Quilts!" The response is usually an eye roll or groan, but deep down I think it makes them happy. After all, they will always have something to cuddle up in no matter how old they are. And, since I leave secret messages in the quilts I make for them, they will always have a hug from me even when they are far away.
That is the part for me that makes quilting different- I am creating something of worth. Not worth in a worldly sense, but a legacy created by my own hands for the ones I love. I don't see my kids hanging onto that paper ribbon basket. Well, actually, they can't because I didn't!
So, tell me, why do you quilt?

5 comments:

Betty said...

I promise if you adopt me and give me quilts forever, I won't roll my eyes or groan! I'm sure your children really appreciate your beautiful quilts. You are so very talented!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I tell people ..."it's cheaper than theraphy"....but really....learning to quilt was a gift from my grandmother that i can always carry with me and "gift" to my family and friends. It's part of the female history of our family.....

Thanks for asking.....LindaMay

Lily Boot said...

You're right about the continuity of quilting - it's a curious concept isn't it. The cutting of fabric into much smaller shapes so that we may put it back together in all manner of pleasing ways. I love the fabric - there are so many beautiful fabrics - the design, colour, texture - out there and making quilts is a long-lived way to add them to my home and life. I like my quilts and patchwork to be useful and used. If it becomes a little faded and loses its gloss, that's fine because it is supposed to be living art - to be loved, to a precious heirloom. And I also love that I can represent myself with my quilting. It speaks to everyone that enters our home. This is lily, this is what she does, what she loves, how she spends her time and cares for her family and home. It's a ver nurturing thing I think. Glad you've caught the bug!

Sherri said...

I love this post...I could probably write pages and pages about why I quilt! I think about this every once in a while...and I know I quilt because I love to create beautiful things...I love fabric and print and pattern...and yes, I'm hoping some of the things I make will be useful and some heirloom! Thanks for this post!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Karin you said it so well. I don't like to be critical of others hobbies but I don't get scrap booking. It can't keep you warm! Quilts can be loved for generations. I guess pictures can too. But like you said, quilts fill all parts of my creative life. Sigh. Sweet post.