Monday, June 15, 2009

Who We Are.

Once a month, I will be highlighting one of the Scarlet Divas, the girls who work at A Scarlet Thread. I have grown very fond of these women, who are fast becoming my new friends. So, I want you to get to know them, and to see why they make AST one of my favorite places to be.
When you walk through the door at A Scarlet Thread, you will most likely be met by a smiling face and a gracious, "Hello!" If you come in the front door (or is it the back door?) you will definitely be met by this little ray of sunshine, Wendy.


Wemdy made this beautiful quilt using Sandy Gervais' Objects of desire line.
Don't you love those shoes?

Wendy's spot is at the cutting table just around the corner from the entrance. You'll know her by the little joy bubble that floats over her head.
I asked Wendy if she would like to answer a few questions so that you can get to know her better. How sweet of her to accommodate me. :)

And so, here's Wendy!

Tell us a bit about you:
1.I have been married to my wonderful husband Darryl for 20 years. I have two great daughters Meagan, 19 and Madison, 14. I love to sew and quilt. And I love the Lord my God with all of my heart.


What is your favorite thing about working at A Scarlet Thread?
2. The favorite thing about working at AST is that we pray every morning before working
we are always their for each other. I love the customers, I have made a lot of friends. It's great!


How long have you been sewing?
3. I have been sewing for 18 years . I taught myself by just buying a pattern and some fabric
and staying up all night. I was making Meagan 1 outfit a night.


How long have you been a quilter?
4. I have been quilting for about 2 years .


What is the best part of a quilt project?
5. It is fun to see the outcome of your project . It brings joy to you and also the person who receives the quilt.

You have such a wonderful eye for color and pattern. I think some people are just born with that talent. Are you a natural?
6. I wouldn't say natural a lot of times I just lay it out and ask others for their opinion.

Do you have any advice for novice quilters, like myself?
7. Advice would be practice , practice, practice the more you do, the better you will become .
It will always be a learning process with every new quilt . Have fun, enjoy, and laugh often.

Laugh often must be Wendy's motto because you cannot help but end up laughing with her while you are at AST. And when you get Wendy and Karen together? Well, just don't drink anything before you get there. Which may have something to do with Karen's nickname for Wendy- WeeWee. No, it isn't really for that reason, but I can just imagine the look on some one's face when they hear, "Where's WeeWee?!" The answer is not what they would expect at all!
You can tell that the women at AST love each other. Praying together for a purpose gives them closer, more intimate, friendships. That spirit resounds throughout the store and you feel it the minute you walk in. It's a great big, "Ah!" of calm.
Wendy recently sold her car. Now, that would not normally be newsworthy here, but the reason she sold it is- she bought a Handi Quilter!! Now that is dedication to the craft!
The next time you go to A Scarlet Thread, be sure to take a minute to talk with Wendy. It will make your day, I promise.

4 comments:

Betty said...

How fun for us to get to know your co-workers and friends. Nice post.

parTea lady said...

I have had the pleasure of meeting Wendy. It is such fun for the customers to do business with all these great ladies. The atmosphere in the shop was what most impressed me on my first visit. I love the Christian music playing in the background and the genuinely friendly people.

Lynne L. said...

Wendy always has a smile on her face and is always eager to help. Of course everyone at AST is always eager to help even Ken. Ever since my first visit in September of last year Karen and all the ladies have left a real good impression. I am always eager to recommend AST to any of my quilting friends.

Lottie said...

AST would not be the same without Wendy. I have come to know Wendy
personally and rely on her for all her knowledge and help in choosing quilt fabric and patterns. I am a begining quilter and have learned a lot through Wendy's help and the classes at AST. Wedny is always friendy and outgoing and knows how to manage the shop with a professional attitude. I am glad that Wendy considers me her friend and hope I make myself worthy of that friendship.