Monday, July 27, 2009

Oh, Fun.

How was your week? Mine was fabulous. My sister came to visit with her daughter and we had the best time together. We took a trip to AST to get Dayna's supplies for a quilt adventure on Saturday then on to Ikea for lunch and a little shopping. My favorite part of Ikea is the As-Is section, especially the textile bin. You never know what you will find there. Dayna scored a king size, beautiful chocolate-colored quilt for $10. Sweet.
Friday was spent at the doctor's with our mom who, hopefully, is finally rid of the last prickly offender in her kidney. Fingers crossed. We know the staff at the surgery center very well now. In fact, I'll be knitting all of them washcloths because that is what I worked on while I was waiting. Nothing peaks curiosity and brings a few subtle hints like a pair of knitting needles and some yummy yarn.
Saturday arrived and we left home at 8:30 AM to drive to Watkinsville, leaving snoozing children behind. Not to worry, they had their own adventure in Little Five Points, shopping and people-watching! We arrived at the Dragonfly Quilt Shop right at 10:00. Perfect. (I kept wanting to call it the Dragonfly Inn. Oh, Gilmore Girls, why did you have to end?)
It's a darling shop, filled with beautiful sights for your eyes and the nicest people working there.



I wonder how much sewing I would accomplish if I had something cute like this to inspire me?

The Georgia (UGA) corner. We were a hop, skip and a jump from Athens, so you know there just had to be one! My husband would love this nod to his alma mater.

Part of the reason we went was so I could meet someone I had spoken to on the phone but had never met in person. Tina is a MaryJane's farmgirl and we have been trying to get together for a while now but life, as it does, prevented that from happening. Until Saturday!

Me, Dayna and Tina after a very busy day of quilting!

I walked into the shop not knowing anyone but my sister and left having made a new friend. Actually, a whole room full of new friends! It never fails that when you get a group of women together, sewing machines humming, the result is a fun-filled, friendship-forming day. It happens everywhere. Every woman in that classroom was funny, bright, happy and helpful. I wish I had taken photos of the quilts being made because each one spoke to the beauty of its creator.

This adventure in quilting was my sister's first. We made Gift Boxes by Cozy Quilt Designs, which happens to be the very first quilt I made! Fun to sew, with just enough challenge to make you feel as though you have really accomplished something. Dayna is giving this quilt to Mom for Christmas.


Here is Dayna's very first quilt on my design wall. She used Fig and Plum for the blocks and chose a pretty pale mauve for the background and a green floral for the border. Not exactly her favorite colors, but they are Mom's. She's coming back in three weeks to run a 5K with me and she will finish the top then. That is if she can find a happy placement for the blocks! In know how she feels.



Here's mine, after the cat decided it would look better with a more casual appearance. I turned my blocks for a different look because I already have one done like the pattern. One of the other quilters had her block arranged this way and I really liked how it changed the whole quilt. I used Charisma by Chez Moi for Moda, along with a beautiful gold polka dot from Bee's Knees for the background. It gives this quilt a lot of energy without overpowering it, I think.
I was sad to see my sister and niece leave yesterday morning. We always have the best time together and I missed them immediately. But, they'll be back for that killer of a 5K next month. (What were we thinking?)
Until then, you'll find me at A Scarlet Thread with my quilting sisters there. No, they are not the original, but they are the next best thing!

4 comments:

Sherri said...

What a cute shop...and looks like you all had a ton of fun!

parTea lady said...

That does sound like a wonderful week you had. Your quilts are great - very colorful. I really like that Gift Boxes pattern.

Betty said...

We're back and I'm so happy to hear you had a good visit with your sister and niece...I think family is so important to our mental health. Your quilting is lovely, as usual.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Your blocks are darling. What a cute picture of you girls. How fun. I wish I was right in there with you.