Saturday, July 18, 2009

What a Find!!

One of the first places I head to at an estate sale is the piles of textiles and linens. You never know what you will find. I usually come home with something I can't live without, like this piece of vintage children's fabric:


My guess is that it came about from the movie Mary Poppins. Don't they look like British nannies riding bicycles?
The only problem is that I cannot find out anything about it. Anywhere! There are two yards of this yummy stuff. I wonder what the woman who bought this was going to make with it. Was it curtains for her daughter's room? A dress? A nightgown? I will never know.



But, what I love about this, is that she kept it for all those years. From 1964 to now even though it's purpose had long passed. I have a feeling that she and I shared the same dilemma- this fabric is so darn cute that I cannot cut into it. At all.
My next step is to write to Mattel and see of they can help me in my search. Hopefully they will be able to solve the mystery.
Fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Oh wow! What a find! I love older linens and fabric. I found some cute paper doll fabric at the thrift store one day. There was 2 yards of it, and I also don't know what to do with it :-) It's just too cute.

scottylover said...

Wow! I love estate sale,s but haven't found anything quite like your find! It is adorable. Sure hope Mattel can help you with the research on it. Will you let us know what you find out

Sandy A in St. Louis (who just happened to be born in the year this fabric was made! LOL)

Fiesta said...

That fabric is adorable.

parTea lady said...

That was a great find - very cute fabric.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh my......this is cute!!!! I saw this movie with my mom when when I was in gradeschool. I love this movie and the fabric is amazing. I would enjoy and cherish it if I were you. I've never heard of or seen anything like it.