Thursday, July 2, 2009

What IS This Pattern?

A few years ago my mother helped her friends who were holding an estate sale. In the sale was this quilt:



Quite a few people picked it up and looked it over and, consequently, passed it by probably because of its $120 price tag and tatty appearance. At the end of the sale it had been deeply discounted, but still no one wanted to take it home. My mom called me and I went over to see it and I ended up buying it for $20. Lucky me!
It is hand-appliqued and machine quilted. I have never seen a pattern like this before and I am having trouble finding it anywhere. My research has come to a screeching halt.



Can you imagine the time this quilt took to create? All of those tiny stitches done thousands of times, it boggles the mind.




I would love to know the name of this pattern, if it has one at all. Maybe it came straight from the imagination of the quilter or was printed up in a long-ago newspaper. Whichever it was, it is beautiful, a treasure that was almost lost.
So, if anyone has any inkling about the name of this patter, could you let me know? I hope I can solve this mystery during my lifetime. ;)

7 comments:

Betty said...

If you can't find the name, I surely won't be able to. Hope someone out there recognizes it for you. It's just lovely!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

If you are going to figure out the mystery this is the place to get help. I sorta thought the quilt was fabric at first. What a great design. Maybe it is taken from fabric?

lindas said...

It looks like a variant of Prince (or Princess) Feather to me. Sewing machines were big ticket items in the 1800's and only the wealthy upperclass woman could afford one. I've seen other truly antique quilts that were hand pieced or appliqued and then machine quilted (one as old as 1835, it was dated).

If I were you, I"d try to get it appraised.

:) Linda

A Quilter Awakens said...

Yes, it looks like a princess feather variation to me, too.
Karmen

madrekarin said...

Linda and Karmen- Thank you! I have tried entering all sorts of descriptions into Google with absolutely no luck and here you two solve the mystery in a matter of hours! Armed with your suggestion, I have looked on eBay and a few other quilting sites and I think you may be right! Oh, this is so exciting!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

parTea lady said...

You have found a treasure. I love the colors in this quilt.

Rebecca P said...

What a treasure you found, so happy for you.