Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More Fabric Strip Fun!

A while ago my friend, Amy, posted about a necklace she had made using fabric scraps. She had found it here. I thought it was adorable, said I was going to make one and promptly forgot about it. Until now.
I made mine a bit differently, using rings and a bit of chain for a different look. Here it is:



I braided lengths of 1/2-inch wide fabric scraps together until I reached a length I liked. Since I think the length of a necklace is a personal choice, I let you decide how long to make yours.
Once I finished braiding one strip, I stitched the ends to prevent them from unwinding. That would be a terrible thing to happen.
Using a dot of fabric glue, I attached each braided strip to a silver ring and clipped them with a clothespin to dry. Once they were dry, I wrapped the joins with embroidery floss, placed a dot of fabric glue under the wrapping and threaded the floss up through it with a needle. Once the glue dried, I clipped the extra thread. I did clip some of the more lengthy threads from the braids but left the smaller ones for a more casual, summery look.
I measured a length of chain and attached it to the rings with jump rings and then added the clasp. This particular necklace is going to be worn by a mannequin at the shop, so I did not make it too long. It happens to match the fabric used in her skirt!
Thanks, Amy and Rubyellen, for the inspiration for this necklace! The mannequin will be pleased.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Tooooooooooo cute. You could also make belts the same way.

Irishgirlsews said...

OH my....that is the prettiest necklace I have ever seen! thanks so much for sharing the pic and the technique, I know what I'll be doing tonight in my sewing room! LOL.
Wendy

Lily Boot said...

what a great idea! I think I'll have to try! I have so many pretty fabric scraps that are just waiting to be a lovely necklace.