Thursday, August 20, 2009

What To Do, What To Do.

My sister, daughter and I went to the shop last week to buy fabric to make bags. Since there are so many patterns and fabrics from which to choose, we were there for quite a while.
Two of the girls were busy using the AccuCut machine to make 2 1/2- inch strips out of green and red fabric. I think they are the strips to make the last strip club quilt into a queen size from the throw size.
Apparently when you cut fabric this way there is a 1/4-inch to 3/4-inch strip left over from each side of the fabric. Where does it go? Well, usually in the trash bin. I mean really, there's not much use for such tiny strips. Or is there? I took a bag full home with me to see what I could come up with.
Here's what I started with:




And here is what I ended up with:



Cute, huh? These rag balls are easy-peasy lemon squeezy to make. Start with a two-inch Styrofoam ball and place a dot of glue where you want to start. Take one of the strips and place it on the glue and begin to wrap the ball, being careful not to make little poochy bits, if you know what I mean. (If a little bump develops, just place a little glue underneath the fabric and roll the ball in your hands) When you get to the end of the strip, add another dot of glue and secure it to the ball. Continue wrapping the ball with strips, varying your starting points to avoid creating an oval. It helps to occasionally roll the ball between the palms of your hands to keep it round.
The balls shown used forty strips each. Because I wanted a uniform appearance, I chose six of the same colored strip and reserved those for the outside of the ball. The rest were attached randomly. Now you can get creative!
I sprayed each rag ball with spray adhesive and rolled them in clear glitter. Then I chose a contrasting color from the jumble of strips and tied it in a bow around the balls.
They don't have to be glittered to be cute. A bowl full of plain, sweet rag balls placed on your sewing or coffee table would be adorable. Attach a hanging loop, string a ribbon through it and attach a button string, charm or tag and hang them in your window. Really, the possibilities are endless.
So, don't throw away your edges! Use them to make something cute instead. :)

5 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

What a great Christmas gift for those who have everything!!!

Another super idea.....see ya next week....maybe!!

Enjoy....LindaMay

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Cute! What a great idea.

Rebecca P said...

Those are so cute! You are so clever. I will have to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Lynne said...

I love the ideas you come up with. These are so cute.

Blogger said...

I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers getting naked on my desktop.