Saturday, September 19, 2009

Red Onion

One of my favorite onions is the red or Spanish onion. They are sassy in a salad with their slightly peppery flavor and you can't beat them caramelized. Oh. My. Gosh. Lovely.



We happen to have a Red Onion of our own in the quilt gallery at AST! I'm pretty sure that this is the caramelized version.



Quilt pieced and quilted by Harriet Williams


From the book Stack a New Deck, by Karla Alexander, this quilt has everything going for it. First, it's made with batiks. Second, it has lots of play and movement. You know I love a quilt with energy. Third, it's a whopping challenge. Did you see all of those curves? I've not ventured into curved piecing yet. They scare me. But I want to make this quilt!

So, does anyone have any suggestions for getting over my fear? Do I just plow in or are there some little tricks that will help me as I sew? I'm sure there's someone out there who can run onion rings around a curve.

3 comments:

quiltkelly said...

These curves are pretty gentle so it should be a great first curve project. If having the convex side up gives you trouble, try the other way. Karla usually has you trim the blocks at the end, so all the problem parts will go in the trash. I say pull out some fabric and give it a try

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Go For It!!....Plow right in....i've done a few curves....not as bad as you think.....just use "lots" of pins!!

Enjoy.....LindaMay

Lynne L said...

Go ahead and go for it. Bight the bullet. Conquer your fears. I bet Harriet could give you some pointers on how to do it. I bet it will be beautiful just like everything else you do. I can't wait to see what fabric you choose.