Tuesday, September 22, 2009

When The Rains Come Down...

...the hands get busy.


It has been raining on and off for a week here in Georgia, with no sign of it letting up any time soon. We haven't had rain like this in a long time. It tends to make one a bit stir-crazy, if you know what I mean.
That said, I am grateful to have a room designated to sewing and crafts. I mean you can only clean your house so much, watch so many movies, play so many games. I've baked cakes and made cookies to the point that, if I don't stop, I could open up a bakery. Taking my dad to his doctor appointments has been a highlight of the past week! It's time for getting my hands busy doing something a little less fattening.
This dish towel is for a swap, a Fall Embroidered Tea Towel Swap, in fact. Since it was a fall theme, I chose to use caramel, chocolate and rust for my color scheme. I used cotton waffle fabric and bound it in homemade bias tape. Then I stitched the birds onto the background with a blanket stitch on my sewing machine, stitched it to the towel likewise, handstitched the black outline and legs (don't look at the legs I cut off. The bird was supposed to be lying down but it looked silly, like it was floating.) and added a little yoyo trim with a vintage button. Voila! Finis!
This is heading off to a farmgirl in Tennessee. I hope she like it. :)
Since I am looking at gray skies yet again today, my friend and I will be working on our strip club quilts. That will definitely be a little ray of sunshine on this gloomy day.

3 comments:

This Little Hen said...

My ray of sunshine was planning a trip to A Scarlet Thread, but until the roads out this way (Carroll County) I am stuck! Keep the sewing creatins coming!

parTea lady said...

Your tea towel is really cute.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Everyone should have a room of their own to sew, spin, knit, read, listen to audio books, etc. The birds are too sweet!