Monday, September 7, 2009

Wonky Bits

I'm participating in Quilt Dad's Wonky Log Cabin quilt-along. I've never intentionally made a wonky block, so this has been a challenge for me.
I decided to practice first using a scrap bag that I purchased last spring. It's about time I cut into it anyway and let go of admiring the lovely roll of fabric through its little plastic window.
John has a wonderful wonky log cabin tutorial. It is well-written and very easy to follow. Once you get over the fact that you are making something crooked on purpose, it just goes against my nature, I tell you!

Here is my first block..




and here is my finished runner top. Once I got over my fear of doing it wrong, it is actually quite fun to make these blocks.



I will quickly quilt and bind this as it is going to be a gift for my Aunt Marie, my mother's sister, in Massachusetts. Mom leaves Wednesday for a seven-week visit so I need to get crack-a-lackin'!
Now to choose the fabric for my real Wonky Log Cabin quilt. Should it be brights? Jewel tones? (Not such a fan of those really.) Neutrals? Pastels? Black and white? Brown and cream? Batiks?
Come back in a few weeks to see what I chose. It's going to be wonky-licious!

No comments: