Friday, November 20, 2009

Scrap Garland

I've had a few questions as to how I made the garland on the Christmas tree in the shop. It was oh-so easy-peasy to do. You know me, I love a simple project that does not require intense concentration.



To make this garland, I used the leftover strips that result from cutting 2 1/2" strips on the AccuCut machine. The strips are anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in width. I leave all edges raw, which adds to the casual feel of this garland. The strips are the width of the fabric which makes for a nice long piece of garland from each set. You can always purchase new fabric to make this project, but I think digging through your scrap bin would make a much cuter garland.
To make the garland:
Take one strip and lay another on top of it being sure to have enough of an overlap to prevent the strips from coming apart from fraying. Repeat on a second set of strips. Choose one of your wider strips to be your center strip. Sew one strip set on either side of the center strip. Wow, I wonder how many times I can type strip in this post? To attach the strip sets together, simply overlap the end of one set and the beginning of another and run two rows of stitching top ti bottom to secure. Do not panic if your strips are not the same width- it's part of the charm of this garland. Besides, you can always pinch the joins into a branch and no one will ever see them.
Sew together as many strip sets as you think you will need to encircle your tree. I made 15 sets and it was just enough for our tall, slender tree.
That's all there is to it! If you make your own scrappy garland, let us know, send a picture and we'll post it here. (Or on Flickr, if I can ever figure it out. Being technologically challenged proves to be problematic sometimes.)
Happy stitching!

4 comments:

Jan Hatchett said...

Love it! What an adorable way to add texture to your tree. Gorgeous!

Linda Stubbs said...

Cute idea. I am so excited for Christmas, how about you?????

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving Madrekarin!

Linda
Prairie Flower

Lynne Leavell said...

As usual cute cute cute. Gonna hafta try it.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh my gosh what a good idea.