Friday, December 18, 2009

Two Down.

In my quest to complete Christmas gifts I never seem to count time correctly. I can look at something small and say, "I can whip this up in no time! Straight seams, tiny amount of fabric- no problem." And then reality sets in. I tend to forget how long it takes me to arrange things out on the design wall. I am hopeless as I stand there scrutinizing every block to make sure that this pattern is not the same as the one beside it or that there is not too much of the same color clumped together. Do you do that?




These two quilts are going to a little girl named Mia in North Carolina. She is the daughter of my sister's friend, Bruce. The little quilt on top is for her dollies and the quilt on the bottom is for her. Just a little something to tuck herself under and take a nap with Yaberdy or Sambeder. I love the names she gives things. They crack me up. She has an imaginary friend named Swetty that travels with her everywhere. It will be a sad day when Swetty leaves the building for the last time.



This pattern, one I designed last spring, is called Off Kilter. It was last night that I finally got the quilting finished and bound it. I had to run it through the shower and toss it in the dryer so I could see how cute it would be all puckered and rumply. I love rumply things. Maybe because I am one.


And this is the dolly quilt. I took a Momma's Apron Strings charm pack and just cut each charm into two pieces, one large and one smaller. I took a small piece and attached it to a larger piece and made the blocks. Then the trouble began. It took me about two hours to get the whole quilt laid out. With help from my daughter, we came up with a square that looked promising. Because I did not have time to sew it right then, I left it on the floor. (The design wall is blocked at the moment with a bed. Don't ask.) A while later my husband walked into the craft room looking for something and, well I'm sure you can guess what happened- he kicked the door stop, which slid across the floor and took all of the blocks with it. At that point I just gathered them together and sewed. I went to the shop yesterday and found the backing and came home and quilted and bound the little thing. And, yes, it had a shower with the big one. :)
The quilts are being mailed off today and then......I only have two more to go.


Wish. Me. Luck.

7 comments:

karen said...

Those two little quilts are so adorable. It really is amazing how much work can go into such a little thing. That just makes it more precious and I bet that little girl will love them and you!

Lynne Leavell said...

Karin you are just like me. I did 13 quilts from February to November. Yes the strip club quilts one done twice. I finished binding the last one on Wednesday night. I am giving ten of them away Saturday (tomorrow) night to my husbands aunts and mother. As always your work is just beautiful. These two quilts are very pretty and they will be loved.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

They are beautiful and they were made with "Love"....that's what counts!!

Enjoy...LindaMay

West Michigan Quilter said...

Lovely quilts. I really like the way you put colors together.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Both are awesome! Love the Off Kilter especially! Wow! You said you designed it - do you sell the pattern?

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I really really love that star quilt with the stars offset. What pattern is it?

Linda Stubbs said...

Merry CHRISTmas Madrekarin, These are beautiful! You have done such a nice job.

Blessings, Linda
Pairie Flower