Monday, January 11, 2010

The Berries Tutorial

How sweet of you to ask for a tutorial on making my little strawberries! And, since I like you so much, here it is:

Gather together large scraps of pink or red fabrics. They do not have to be spotted. If it looks like a strawberry when you're done, it's a strawberry.

Find a bowl (this bowl happens to be 5 1/4 inches in diameter) and trace around it.
Cut the circle out on the drawn line.
Cut the circle in half.

Fold your half-circle in half and stitch 1/4 inch down the side.

Turn your strawberry and stitch across the pointy end, making sure you have two stitches across the bottom. This is what makes the strawberry have a little upturned point. Which makes it very cute.

Cut the corner with pinking shears to prevent fraying while stuffing.
Take a gathering stitch across the top of the strawberry using floss or #8 Perle cotton.
I used red so that you can see the placement.
You might want to match your fabric. But, you don't have to.

Stuff your strawberry with filling of your choice. I used polyester cluster stuffing.
I like how it gets down into the point.

Draw the top together and tie off in a knot. You can now poke down into the strawberry and arrange the stuffing as desired. I grabbed my screwdriver from my sewing machine for this job. I'm sure there is a more technical tool but, really, just use what's handy.
Cut a circle out of green fabric using pinking shears. The ones marked "fabric only".

Fold the circle into fourths and....

cut it like this. Or not. You can make your leaves any way you wish.
(Ack! I need a manicure!)

If you're following me, your leaves look like this. Cut a small slit in the center of the leaf piece.

Go outside and find a tiny stick. Place a good dot of fabric glue in the center of the strawberry and push the stick into it. Slide the leaf piece over the stick, place a dot of glue at the end of each leaf and gently press onto the strawberry. Don't press the leaves flat. You want a little bump so they look more natural. Press the stick down further into the berry, if necessary.
Make a bunch and toss them into a bowl; or use them as pincushions; or give them to your friends as tokens of affection; or dangle them from packages; or use them to decorate an apron; or add some lavender and use them as potpourri; or well, you get the picture. :)

8 comments:

Rebecca P said...

Oh that is so cute, thank you for sharing you creation. I'm going to run to my sewing room & make some.

Diane said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern.
I am excited to make a bunch of these little darlings. I know that Christmas is over but I have this idea for a special tree next year.
I purchased a box lot of paper products at an auction recently and in the bottom of the box were six vintage ornaments with a strawberry theme. These will work in so well as additional ornaments.
Have a fabulous day...
Diane

The Feathered Nest said...

Such a WONDERFUL tutorial Karin!!!! I love it ~ I still want to make strawberries...but haven't. Now I want to make them AGAIN! xxoo

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very, very cute!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us!!

Pamela said...

Thanks for this great and easy tutorial!! I will be making lots of these.

brigette said...

very cute!!! thanks for the tutorial!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I've been wanting to make these. Good tutorial. I'll bookmark it now. I think it makes a really cute "favor".

Sonnja said...

Thank you for sharing you creation.
Bear regards,

Beertje Zonn