Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crocheted Confetti Rug

I've been absent for a while.
I was taking care of my mother.
One of the things I did while sitting with her was to make small projects. I have a ton of hexagons made for a future quilt for my soon-to-be-here granddaughter. I also crocheted a small, circular throw rug.


I made it from the small strips of fabric that result from cutting 2 1/2" strips on the AccuCut machine. I love little strips. They have so many uses!
I should have counted how many strips it took to make this rug. I can tell you that it was about a grocery sack full, if that helps. So, you might need to save strips for a while if you decide to make one. Unless, of course, you do an inordinate amount of cutting. Then it should go zippy-quick! I used a size N, or 10 mm, crochet hook to make this rug. It's a perfect size for crocheting (approximately) 1/2" strips and does not make large holes.


This one happens to be made from strips from Mary Engelbreit's Attitude Girls line. I think it turned out rather nicely.
This rug will rest on the floor of my guest room, where it will not be stepped upon too often. It is a sweet reminder of time I spent with my mother, me crocheting and her watching my progress until, at last, it was done. She smiled and told me she loved it. But, then, she said she loved everything I made.
I miss her.

5 comments:

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

That rug looks just great! I have a few of those in my kitchen and laundry room, I love 'em.

How lovely that it will bring back sweet memories of your mama. :-)

Hugs,
Anne

kpaints said...

is so cute, I love the colors. I have been buying sheets at thrifts for awhile as I want to do another one this winter. Yours is so pretty.
I was very sad to read about your loss of your mother. My best to you. It sounds like you gave her a sweet and gentle flight.

Linda Stubbs said...

Hi Karin, This is adorable! I have two white ones that I crocheted for our bedroom. They are so fun and relaxing to make!

Cute cute! Anything you do is cute!
Have a great week!
Blessings, Linda

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I haven't made a rug like that for a while. It is amazing how much fabric that can use. Yours turned out very lovely. Something to add character to a room.

Lynne Leavell said...

Karin the rug is beautiful. As usual you do a great job. Now everytime you look at you can think of the good times with your mom and hopefully not so much the sad times. Have getting ready for that Granddaughter. You have about a month to go. It will be here before you know it.