Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pinwheels in a Jiffy.

Sometime last week I saw a YouTube on how to make quick and easy pinwheel blocks. It was one of those, "Why ddn't I think of that?" moments. Do you think I can remember where I saw it? No.
I thought it was here, but I cannot find it to save my life.
Edited: Here it is! Thanks to a very diligent reader. :)
(If you know who does the YouTube, please let me know so I can give them proper credit. Thank you.)
So, instead, I will give you a photo tutorial.
Most of you probably know how to make these already, but, for those who don't, it's an easy-peasy way to make a lovely block.
So, here goes:

Cut two equal squares of two different fabrics for your pinwheels. Mine are 5 inch squares.


Lay one on top of the other, matching the sides.


Stitch with a 1/4 inch seam all the way around the sides of the squares. Yep, all the way around.


Like this.


Take the square to your cutting mat and cut in half diagonally, corner to corner.


Turn your ruler and make another cut.


Press to the darker fabric, trim off the dog ears and...


stitch together making sure that you have your pinwheels all going in the right direction. If you don't, you'll be sorry. Don't ask how I know this. Please.


Trim to size and voila! A pinwheel block in no time! I made this one in a snap, it's that easy.


Beautiful. Now, only a million more to go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E&feature=channel

madrekarin said...

Excellent! Thank you so much. :)

Lynne Leavell said...

I saw this on Missouri Star Quilt Co. Tutorial Page. It is very easy and makes doing pinwheels fun.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Love love You Tube. My kids do math with you Tube. It can teach anything!