Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Solid Foundation

And, poof!, it's done. Months of preparation, hours of creating, lots and lots of ordering new stock all to make sure that the 2013 Greater Atlanta Quilt Shop Hop would be a success and, it was!
Our shop theme this year was A Solid Foundation. Most quilts that are being made these days are constructed using a large field of solids, incorporating solids in new ways or are composed of all solid fabrics. We love solids at AST!! Our fave? Moda Bella Solids. Love them!


Everywhere our customers turn they find inspiration to create their own, modern quilt using these stalwarts.


Above is V&Co.'s Barn Dance pattern, made by Kris Caddy. Yum!


A positively patriotic Yankee Doodle Sweetheart, by made by Harriette Williams.


Spin Cycle, by Cluck, Cluck, Sew!, made by Kris Caddy.


A long shot into the shop!


Peaks! and Mind the Gap! by Moda, made by Sherrie Curtis and Kris Caddy, respectively.


Spheres and Melons, a Moda trunk show. Patterns can be had free with the purchase of 12 solid fat quarters.


Take 5 Deserves and Even Break! by Teacher's Pet, made by Chelsea Moore in fabulous Kaffe Fassett fabric. Yes, we now carry this!!


We also carry wool, lots and lots of glorious wool by The Woolly Lady and Mary Flanagan, to give you the best of both modern and traditional wool!


Delicious.


I Heart You by V& Co., made by Sherrie Curtis. I do heart this.


Last year at market, Moda had paint sticks displayed in their booth. They were beautiful and immediately made us think of A Solid Foundation! I mean really, paint sticks, painted solid and then splatter painted? Score! We asked our sweet rep if we might be able to get some and Moda sent us 100! A quick tour around the web yielded a source for unprinted paint sticks and we ordered in 700 more. Yes, 700!!


16 colors of paint, one paint brush and me sitting on my living room floor....(with a little help from two amazing missionaries who just "popped by" to see me) and...


it looked like this.


And then the fun began!! The Hubs and I laid the sticks side by side and then, one by one, I opened a bottle of paint and just chucked it. Paint was going everywhere and it was awesome! Most fun I've had in years. :)


The result? A curtain of color leading from the main cash wrap all the way to the sewing center.


The AST Shop Hop quilt, designed by Laura Coons and made by Sherrie Curtis. I love this happy quilt!


Lots of fun, solid-based quilts could be found at every turn!


I think everyone had a good time.


Patches and Stacks, a Moda trunk show, on view until March 28. The patterns are available free with the purchase of 12 solid fat quarters.


Notting Hill by Joel Dewberry, made with his Notting Hill line by Sherrie Curtis.


There you have it, a little tour of A Scarlet Thread's A Solid Foundation shop hop. Thanks for stopping by!


It's not quite like being there but it's the next best thing!
A lot of our customers asked about the "flowers" on the shelf above the solid display. My friend, Cilla, and I made them after seeing a photo of a display in Anthropologie in New York on the Internet. 
Guess what they are?  ;)

5 comments:

alindbergh said...

Tissue puffs?

Lynne Leavell said...

Great Job. The store looked beautiful. I bet you did have fun doing those paint sticks. If I lived closer I would have come over to play too. Again great job on the hard that you have put into the redecorating of the main store. It looks great.

Auntie Pami said...

Amazing! Are the flowers straws dipped in paint?

Amy Gunson said...

What a great display and them that you carried through the shop. This is top notch marketing and you should be proud. If I didn't live halfway around the globe in Australia, I'd definitely put the shop on my must visit list.

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm ready to play with solids now!

Hatsumomo Kimono said...

I love everything here! Paint sticks, quilts, love to see a shop with vision!