Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Well, It Goes Like This....


 Every now and then a little something will float in and out through my brain. My kids will tell you that's a scary place to be. I love my children. Anyway, I was invited to a birthday party for a one year-old last year and needed a present. I'm all about making gifts for children, if at all possible. I love the idea of a child carrying a gift through their childhood- something special and unique not something you would find on a store shelf- instead of tossing it in the back of the closet. Thus, Patty Cat was born.


If you happened upon my sewing studio whilst I'm creating, you would cringe. And, probably agree with my children! I don't draw patterns, I cut them out with scissors and old file folders. And I don't start with a sketch, instead it's more of a picture in my head. Which can be tricky, because of that floating in and out thing.


But, in the end, I am usually pleased with the result. A little tweaking here and there and I end up with something that resembles what I was seeing with my mind's eye. Sometimes, it's even better than I expected. I feel that way about Patty Cat. And, so, when I saw that The Swirly Girls were holding a Show Us Your Poppy Love Challenge, I knew my little kitty needed to be a part of it!
We carry the Vintage version of Poppy Love at the shop. It happens to be my favorite.
I had been buying up little pieces of it here and there, so I just needed to add the fabrics for the Poppy Love Patchy Picnic quilt. Off to the sewing studio...............


I love making this cat with her spindly arms and legs and saucer eyes surrounded by fluttery lashes. Working with beautiful fabrics makes the process all the more enjoyable.
I got her made, whipped up the quilt and sat her upon a wicker basket on the side porch of my house. I borrowed some of my mother's miniature ironstone tea set and Patty Cat was ready for her picnic. Snapping a photo, I sent it in and waited. And guess what?

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

She won! Patty Cat and her Poppy Love Patchy Picnic quilt won in the small project category! Isn't that amazing? I am so thrilled and grateful.
While you are visiting The Swirly Girls' blog, take a peek at the other winners. Seriously, the quilt is gorgeous and the little dresses are amazing!
(A little side note- whenever I write the word gorgeous, I hear it in Haley Mills' voice in Pollyanna when Nancy shows her her engagement ring as the doctor carries Pollyanna to the car. Don't judge.)
Thank you, Susan and Christine, for loving Patty Cat. She loves you back.




1 comment:

Lynne Leavell said...

AS usual you dd a great job. I love the quilt and Patty Cat. I wish I had that kind of creativity where I could just draw it out and go from there. No I get a creative thought and then stress out because I can't find an already made pattern for it. One day I'm going to come out of the box and try it.

Again my friend great job and congratulations on the win.