Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hop. Hop. Hop.

It's Shop Hop time! And oh, my goodness, it is so much fun. My friend, Cilla, and I started early this morning, stopping at McDonald's for a plain biscuit, a Dr. Pepper and diet Coke, respectively.
We started our trip driving through a downpour to Newnan, home of Heritage Quilts and Fabrics. It is a darling shop, with wonderful quilts. Bad blogger that I am, I only took a shot of the exterior as it was beginning to rain again and I did not want to get my camera wet.




You can see from this shot of the window, they chose a Christmas theme and there were many cute Christmas quilts displayed throughout the shop. Christmas music streamed from above, Christmas cookies and candy canes were there for munching on and everyone was wearing their favorite Christmas clothing. The only thing missing was Santa Claus!


After making our purchases (we hadto buy something!), it was back into the truck we went and drove to Jonesboro, to Quilts and Fixin's and some favorite Saturday morning cartoon characters.

Here's Cilla posing in front of one of the windows.
Look! It's Scooby Doo! Ruh-roh.


It was a lot of fun revisiting some of my favorite Saturday morning friends- The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Tom and Jerry. Almost like a trip in Mr. Peabody's Way-Back Machine. :)
From Jonesboro we drove to McDonough, to home base as we call it. Where? A Scarlet Thread, of course, for a birthday party! The staff wore birthday crowns and the entire store was decorated with papier maché cakes and fat eights rolled into candles. Cute, cute. I had to share this darling trim on this dress. Yo-yo heaven, I'd say!


Anyone for birthday cake? Better bring your hack saw and wire cutters for this one.

I love how the cakes coordinated with the fabrics they were displayed with.



In the back of the store, where strip club and sewing classes are held, a magical transformation took place. Seemingly overnight, it became a quilt gallery, with a feast for the eyes at every turn! I am only going to give a sneak peek for now, because if you live in the area, you need to see it for yourself. Amazingly drool worthy!




Turning the corner who did I find? Deanna (DeeDee), who won our very first blog giveaway! Talk about good timing! I was able to document her receiving her prize from Karen and meet her in person! She's an absolute sweetheart.



At each location we received a gift bag, with a tiny treasure and a quilt pattern to make. Lovely, thoughtful things put together by the friends and staff of each shop. The attention to detail did not go unnoticed. It was a wonderful day. I'm glad we decided to stretch it out though. It would have been too much to get all nine in one fell swoop.
Tomorrow will find me up at the crack of dawn, picking Cilla up at 8:00 AM, making our required stop at the Golden Arches and driving to Marietta, where we will visit the next three shops on our list. I can hardly wait.
Gee, I hope I sleep tonight!

4 comments:

Betty said...

I would love to join you; but, I just returned from Little Rock and don't have any new travel plans. What a really fun time you and Cilla are having! Thanks for sharing it.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Well, now see, you just MUST come here because I have 2, count them, TWO quilts shops at the end of my very street! Yes! And they do the "Hop" thing as well! (I really need to learn to quilt - but I am soo not into math!!)
Looks like a fun time - have a wonderful week-end!

Karen said...

Colleen- You don't really need to have good math skills if you use the strip method. Oh, it is so much fun and perfect for a novice quilter (like me!) You should go visit your quilt shops and see what they offer. Of course, once you go in you'll be hooked. ;)

parTea lady said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun. Looking forward to hearing more about your Shop Hop travels.